Dealing with uneven skin texture can be a struggle. Since it can be caused by multiple factors, we’ve got all bases covered with our ultimate guide to textured skin!
Discover what causes textured skin and how to get a smoother face with our top tips, tricks and product recommendations to reveal your best skin yet!
What is Textured Skin?
Skin texture can occur in the form of bumps, pits, flakes, enlarged pores and roughness. These areas of uneven skin texture are often easy to feel and can be a little harder to see – until you apply makeup, that is.
What Causes Textured Skin?
There are countless potential causes of skin texture, from the natural signs of aging to sun damage. Here are a few of the most common culprits behind textured skin:
- Build-up of Dead Skin Cells – As we age, skin turnover (where the skin naturally sheds dead skin cells) begins to slow down, leading to a build-up of dead skin cells on the skin’s surface. This can result in an uneven skin texture and a dull appearance.
- Acne Scarring – This is one of the main reasons you shouldn’t pick your spots! Acne scarring is one of the most common causes of textured skin, leaving bumps where your old blemishes have healed.
- Pockmarks – Ever noticed those small, crater-like indentations in your skin? These are ‘pockmarks’ caused by a sudden loss of collagen as a result of inflammation. Again, acne scars can be the culprit here (these are often called pitted acne scars).
- Eczema and Dry Skin – With eczema and dry skin often comes flakes and sometimes scaliness, resulting in a very uneven skin texture.
- Sun Damage – And finally, the cause of many skin concerns – UV rays from the sun. UV is responsible for not only killing off skin cells prematurely but can impact skin’s collagen production, creating uneven texture.
How to Get Rid of Textured Skin
First things first: skin texture is NORMAL!
Social media filters may be able to create the illusion of ‘perfect skin’, but in reality, everyone’s skin has some texture! For one, our pores are extremely important for our overall skin function – we need them to keep our skin moisturized!
That said, there are several tips and tricks you can follow to discover how to improve skin texture.
Tip 1 – Exfoliate with Glycolic Acid
Exfoliation is an effective method to help rid the skin of dead skin cells, dirt and debris. Not only can this reveal a brighter, healthy-looking complexion, but it helps tackle skin texture, promoting smoother skin.
Glycolic Acid is our go-to skincare ingredient when it comes to exfoliating. Acting gently to slough away those dead skin cells, Glycolic Acid can slip seamlessly into your routine through a variety of products. From cleansers to moisturizers, just make sure you top up with SPF, as GA can increase skin’s sensitivity to the sun.
Shop our range of Glycolic Acid skincare, and discover more about this exfoliating ingredient in our previous post.