With new products hitting the shelves each week, it’s fair to say that the number of skincare options out there can be a little overwhelming. Frantic messages from friends asking ‘do I really need to use toner?’ or ‘wait… does a mask replace my moisturizer?’ accounts for 50% of the texts on our phones.
We all agree: the world of skincare is a confusing place. Luckily for you though, we’ve recited the correct steps to layer skincare to ourselves over and over like it’s the Pledge of Allegiance, and now we’re here to impart our wisdom on to you.
Ready? Welcome to ‘how to layer skincare 101’.
- Step 1 – Cleanser
- Step 2 – Toner
- Step 3 – Serum
- Step 4 – Eye Cream
- Step 5 – Moisturizer
- Weekly Treatments
Best Skincare Steps
Follow Revolution Skincare’s step by step skincare routine to make sure you’re using the best products for your skin type, and in the correct order!
Step 1 – Cleanse
Lesson one: serums, moisturizers and other treatments won’t work their magic unless they’re applied onto clean skin. That’s why a skincare routine should always start with a good cleanse.
What Does Cleanser Do?
Cleansing removes makeup, dirt, and excess oil to leave skin feeling clean, fresh and ready for the next steps.
The Morning Cleanse
It’s safe to say that your face should still be relatively clean when you wake up, so a single wash to remove dirt transferred from your pillow, excess oil that has accumulated overnight and product residue from your evening routine will create a clean canvas for your next products.
The Evening Cleanse
An evening routine, however, requires double cleansing.
Throughout the day, dirt and pollutants settle onto the skin. Add makeup into the mix and you’ve got a recipe for clogged pores and build up. So, we recommend cleansing twice: the first cleanse breaks down makeup and washes away dirt and excess oil on the surface, while the second removes impurities from deep within your pores.
Best Cleanser For:
- Dry skin: If you have dry skin, the Revolution Skincare Ceramides Hydrating Cleanser should be your go-to cleanser! The blend of ceramides not only hydrates the skin for up to 24-hours, but skin is left protected and ready for the day ahead.
- Oily and combination skin: Looking to decongest your skin without drying it out? You can’t beat the Revolution Skincare X Sali Hughes Morning Cleanser! It’s super refreshing, helping to rid the skin of excess oils without stripping any moisture.
- Blemished and acne-prone skin: For cleansed and mattified skin, look no further than the Blemish Targeting Salicylic Acid Facial Gel Cleanser. Powered by Salicylic Acid, this cleanser helps to exfoliate the skin to help balance oil and reduce the appearance of blemishes and blackheads.
- Sensitive skin: When it comes to cleansing sensitive skin, it doesn’t get much better than the Good Vibes Goddess Hydration Cannabis Sativa Foaming Face Wash. Its refreshing formula gently removes impurities and makeup without leaving skin feeling dry or tight.
- Dull skin: Want to reclaim a healthy glow? The Vitamin C Brightening Cream Cleanser is formulated with (you guessed it!) radiance-boosting Vitamin C to help remove makeup and impurities, while brightening the skin.
How To Choose The Best Face Wash For Your Skin Type
Here's our no-nonsense guide on how to pick the best face wash for your skin concern.